For more detailed information click on the banner above
Airport Speedway - Camden, NJ (Palmyra)
(1934 - 1939) 1/4-mile dirt oval
Alcyon Speedway - Pitman, NJ
(1895 until 1960)
Amatol Speedway - Hammonton, NJ (1926 - 1928)
(aka: Atlantic City)
track was a banked 1.5-mile long and 50' wide wooden oval board track built in
1926 to handle speeds of 160 MPH. Amatol/Atlantic City held several Champ Car races from May 1, 1926 until September 16, 1928.
Arney's Mount Speedway - Springfield, NJ
1/3 paved oval track (4/25/55 - 1958)
1/8 mile drag strip (1957 - 1958)
Arney's Mount Speedway was a 1/3-mile paved speedway with a drag strip. The speedway and
attached drag strip are still pretty much intact. The remains of the grandstands, ticket booth/office,
concession stand, rest rooms and the inside and outside fences can been seen.
The speedway had a nice amount of banking to it and seemed pretty wide as well.
Asbury Park High School Asbury Park, NJ
1/4-mile dirt oval (1934 & 1935)
Racing was conducted every Friday night at the High School Stadium with races sanctioned by the American Midget Racing Association.
Atlantic City Convention Hall Atlantic City, NJ
The indoor track in the Atlantic City Convention hall was a 1/5th mile flat concrete oval.
East Windsor appears to be the most current New Jersey speedway to be lost.
The track was built by Don Jones on the same site of the old Hightstown track located off
Airport Road near the border of Hightstown. While many rumors still circulated about the track reopening, the truth is the speedway
continues to sit idle with plans being pursued to build homes on the property as reported in the Windsor-Heights Herald. Within
a few years of the tracks closing, a home was built just off turn three that sits roughly 100ft or so from the racing surface.
East Windsor was leased a few times over the years to Ken Brenn, Sr., Joe
Scamardella and Lindi Vicari over the years, but the
track was best known for the Jones family promoting
most of the events held at the track with the "It's my way or the
highway" attitude that saw top competitors like Billy Pauch and Doug Hoffman get suspended from
East Windsor was known for its Modified racing until the RSCA days of Lindi Vicari came to a close on 11/2/1980. Jimmy Horton won that event, which was the last
Modified feature held at the track that featured a full full field of Modified cars only.Don Jones took back over promoting his family owned track in 1981 and was one of
the first tracks to feature true Small Block Modifieds as the headline division. The track would
never again by run by anyone other then a member of the Jones family. Soon after the switch was made to Small Blocks, the township began to fight with the
speedway over noise. The track was the first track to have a strict noise ordinance placed upon
it. The level of noise was measured by the township just off the property to ensure the
track did not exceed it's ordinance. The track made street legal mufflers mandatory and
on all racecars and even had a device located at the start/finish line to disqualify any
car that exceeded the level of noise the township would permit.
The track hosted one DIRT sanctioned Modified event that was won by Phil Meisner, while
Doug Hoffman was the track's sole Small Block Modified DIRT representative. Jimmy Horton was the tracks all-time Modified winner and Doug Hoffman was the
all-time Small Block winner, winning the last race held at the track on 8/23/02.
Kenny Brightbill won the last track championship.
The speedway was demolished to make room for retail stores like Wal-Mart
that will be built on the property that sits off Route 31 in Hunderton County.
The famous covered grandstand was torn down in January of 2006.
In 2005 all of the aluminum seats were sold and moved to the Bridgeport Speedway, located
in Logan Township, NJ.
The track appeared all but lost when when zoning changes were passed by the Raritan Town Board in September 2002 that effected the property of
the speedway at the request of the Kuhl's, the majority owners of the property.
Flemington held the title of America's oldest weekly running speedway up until it closed. Flemington also was
home of the National Auto Racing Hall of Fame, which has since been moved to
Mahoning Valley Speedway in PA. The clubs cars took to the track once a month until
the Fall of 2003.
There was one last ditch effort to try and save the speedway, via an online petition
started by a website to Boundless Motorsports, but the tracks fate was already sealed.
The petition gathered well over a thousand signatures and was even mentioned on SPEED Channels, Wind
Tunnel Show with Dave Despain.
Drivers like Dick Tobias and Ed McVay lost their lives at the track.
Billy Pauch topped the all-time career win list while Doug Hoffman became the all-time
asphalt feature winner. Hoffman even won a NASCAR sanctioned Modified event held at the track, while Pauch won a prestigious Race of Champions event.
A fire was brought under control late Monday afternoon, January 28, 2002 at the Flemington
Fair Speedway. The fire consumed the fair office, main concession stand, Fusco's chicken stand and the back of the building that was the beer garden. Police
arrested three juvenile suspects that fled the scene. The rest of the speedway and all of
its other buildings were all fine.
Fort Dix Speedway (AKA New Egypt Speedway) was built as a dirt track in the 1950's and
paved in the 60's. Fort Dix became New Egypt Speedway and closed in the 80's. Rick Grosso bought the old New Egypt paved track in the mid 90's. The speedway was enlarged
and reconfigured three times. Today it is a 4/10-mile "D" shaped clay
speedway. New Egypt has been in continuous operation once again since 1998. New Egypt speedway is the only dirt speedway in New Jersey that features both DIRT Modified
and the World of Outlaw touring series races yearly.
Harmony Speedway was 1/2-mile D-shaped dirt speedway with a paved drag strip built by Carl
Van Horn. Harmony was sanctioned by Lindy Vicari's famed RSCA organization from 4/17/66
- 7/26/67. The grandstand were set far back from the dirt oval due to the drag
Hightstown Speedway started out as a 1/5-mile dirt track, but was better know as the flat 1/5-mile
paved speedway. The speedway was located in the far left corner of the current East
Windsor Speedway parking lot (looking from Airport Rd. towards today's track).The track was located so close to the road back then that they would hang items on
the fence to stop people from parking on the road to watch the races. Hightstown was originally
run by Al Ekert, who also ran the airport located on the same property. The track
was flat and not banked very much. Hightstown ran Friday's while most drivers would
then run Wall Stadium Saturday and Long Branch Speedway on Sunday. Six cylinders
and flat heads were once mandatory and meet with resistance. Many Hightstown/East Windsor locals also raced at the track, such as: Barry Jones,
Don Stives, Dusty Mullsberry, Jack Stackhouse, Jimmy Glover, Joe Vigue, Lou Mohr, Lou Stonaker and Sopy Campbell.
Today there is nothing that would indicate Hightstown Speedway ever existed.
The current speedway that occupies the property now, the East Windsor Speedway ended its 2002 racing season almost a month early to continue its court fought over
devolvement occurring all around the speedway effecting the speedways drainage.
Formerly a dog racing track 1/5 mile paved oval (6/25/49 - 1951)
(aka Garfield Stadium)
Long Branch was part of the Shore Race Club and raced on Sunday's in the 50's.
The track was located near the boardwalk. The Nicol Family encounter hard times getting into Long Branch which prompted
them to build Wall Stadium (Now Wall Township Speedway).The property is now the site of retail business.
There is a old race track in a town called McAfee located in Vernon Twp, Sussex
County, NJ. The speedway is believed to have operated during the late 40's and early 50's for a
period of about 4 or 5 years. Charlie South, driving for the late Leon Conklin, was a track
champion. The track used to be an old horse track at the turn of the century. It is reported
that you can still make out some of the old track, but not very much as it is very over grown with no
remains left of the buildings or grandstands.
Morristown Speedway was a 1/2-mile dirt oval also located in North Jersey. There was a 100-mile
race run on August 24, 1951. Dan Bailey and Frank Mundy both driving 1951 Studebakers
finished 14th and 23rd out of the original 44 entries for this 100-mile race. Tim
Flock, Lee Petty and Buck Baker all won races at the Morristown, NJ Speedway
1/2-mile dirt oval (1922 - 7/04/27 and 5/19/37 - 6/23/40)
Mount Holly Fairgrounds was at the Burlington County Fairgrounds which later became
the Fairgrounds Plaza, a shopping center. The track was better known for horse racing and had the
only double-deck grandstands on the East Coast at the time.
The speedway was located on New Brunswick Avenue in Piscataway near the Piscataway-South
Plainfield border in Middlesex County, NJ. The track ran Sprint cars from 1927 to 1934 with seven lives lost during races at the track.
The site is presently occupied by Pleasant View Gardens, a garden apartment complex
with no trace of the track surviving today.
1/7-mile high banked wood oval built by Joe Miele, opened for bicycle racing with turns banked
at 45 degrees. Three drivers were killed in 60 race dates before it was demolished in February of 1942.
Nutley built a park and playground on the site in 1950, named after Father Glotzbach, a
priest who worked with troubled children. Paul Russo was the first auto race winner.
Eddie Staneck was the 1938 AAA track champion, Johnny Ritter was the 1939 AAA track champion.
1/2-mile paved track located off of Rte. 18 (Just before Rte. 9)
Old Bridge raced during the 50's and into the 60's with the last race held in 1968.
The pits were behind the back straight with a factory built there sometime around 1970. At
least between 1972 to 1979 you could drive through the factory parking lot and onto the track.
The track was still in amazing condition to turn fast laps in street cars. The
speedway was dug up and a condo development (Whispering Pines Housing development) built in 1980.
In 1965, Old Bridge was race #31 on the NASCAR schedule with Junior Johnson the
winner. Lee Petty, Ralph Moody and Fireball Roberts also had NASCAR wins at Old Bridge
1/2-mile dirt oval (1909 - 1911 and 7/24/15 - 1917)
Built as a harness track in 1909, Olympic Park was at the Becker Grove Amusement park and
ran motorcycle races from 1909 to 1911. An IMCA race held under the lights won on
7/24/15 was won by Art Klein.
1/5-mile cinder oval (6/10/34 - 10/7/34 and 5/4/36 - 6/29/36)
The cinder surface had ground up Coca Cola bottles mixed with the cinders. The first ever
race for midgets run on the East Coast was held on 6/10/34.
1888 - NJ State Fairgrounds built, 1900 to 1945 1/2-mile dirt oval, 1946 to 1956 -
1-mile dirt oval, 1957 to 1968 - 1-mile paved oval, 1969 to 1980 - 1.5-mile kidney oval with the
Trenton Speedway being completely demolished in 1983 (Now the NJ Grounds for Sculpture). Kidney-shaped
oval; width: 65', turns, 55', straights, 80' wide. Banking: turns 1 & 2 - 10°, dogleg
- 4°, turns 3 & 4 - 15° with a radius of the dogleg - 20° and a 2200' front straight. Trenton
Speedway was a 1.5-mile paved track. Trenton was one of New Jersey's first tracks
built in 1900 as a 1/2-mile dirt track. The track was increased to 1-mile in May
1946 and paved in 1957. Many Indianapolis type races were run at Trenton. In the 1960's
and early 1970's, NASCAR also held races at Trenton. Trenton's NASCAR winners include Richard Petty,
Fireball Roberts, LeeRoy Yarbrough and David Pearson (who holds the all-time Trenton
track record). Bobby Allison won the last NASCAR race held at Trenton July 1972. The
1/2-mile dirt rack featured Midget racing for the very first time on September
28, 1940 with the feature going to Cowboy O'Rourke over Paul Russo and Harry Hart.
The track opened on 7/26/33 for motorcycle racing on Mill Road and Union Ave.
One lap around the track would put you in three different townships. It was torn down
during WW2. A bowling alley was later built on the site in 1958.Red Redmond was the 1940 AAA track champion, Johnny Pierson was the 1941
AAA track champion.
The 1/5-mile track was built inside of the half mile track and was managed by Albert
Santo. Races were held under the supervision of Ferdie Arrigoni. The track championship went to George Fonder.
Located off County Road 29 on Springfield Rd., Union Speedway ran a motorcycle race
on 5/10/36 with the first auto race held on 5/15/36. Pappy Hough won the last
race. Track was torn down in 1946 and is now the site of an industrial park.
Woodbridge Speedway was built by Wilbert Baine and had turns banked at 38 degrees. Johnny
Rohrer (10/27/29), Bob Robinson ( 7/27/30) and Bernie Katz (5/10/31) were all fatally
injured on the board track, while Fred Farmer was fatally injured on the dirt
track on 8/28/32. Bert Karnatz won the very last major board track race.
Woodbridge High School now sites on the site and uses the old track grandstands.The
high wooden banks of Woodbridge in 1931.